Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Voting From Abroad & Fast Food in China

I made it to the US consulate this morning to send my absentee ballot to Boulder. Originally I was going to send in a Federal Write-in ballot, basically just a blank form for people who have not received their real ballots in time; but my procrastination paid off, as I received my ballot on Sunday. It felt good to participate in our country's political system, especially so in a swing state (I tried to register in Cook County, but that is a story for another lawsuit). There were a few too many Colorado ballot initiatives for me, so I had to do some homework to find out what they were all about (half of them I left blank as they have been eliminated from consideration due to wrangling between Colorado's labor and business powers).

Anyway, the point of this pointless story is that this year FedEx offers a free service, called "Express Your Vote", which will overnight my ballot back to the US. I don't know why this (relatively expensive) service is offered, or who funds it; but I definitely would thank them if I had the chance. I especially like that I can track it (my ballot is currently somewhere in the air between Shanghai and the states). I can rest easy knowing that if my man loses Colorado by one vote, it won't be my one vote.


On an unrelated note, I was reading the Economist today as I ate my spicy chicken sandwich at a local KFC, when I came across this article about Burger King making moves in mainland China. The article astutely points out that KFC's dominance in China is due in large part to Chinese consumers' preference for chicken, and the relatively localized menu that they feature here. I think one thing that the article ignores is the role of skillful marketing in McDonald's mainland success (KFC not withstanding).

Marketing, especially focused on youngsters, is what keeps McDonald's growing in China, and helps them to overcome the general distate for the stuff from more traditional palates, as older (middle-aged and up) folks are dragged along by their Xiao Huangdi (little emperors). The kids come for Ronald, free toys, ice cream, and a kids' clubhouse atmosphere. The adults that accompany them are stuck with the food offerings, while McDonald's is 'stuck' with their money. I'd be interested to see if anyone has done any research into the percentage of McDonalds mainland business that is directly related to kids. I'm sure it would be higher than in the west, and that in tier-2 and tier-3 Chinese cities (ie not Shanghai, Beijing, or GZ) it would be the highest.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I have to find out about the fed ex service sending in absentee ballots
also will pass along the mcdonald's stuff to biz eds-- could be a good story (and McD probably has research on how many kidmeals they serve etc)